Date: Friday, 07.10.11, 11:58 | Message # 1|
Forum posts: 1277
Ever wondered how powerful your phone is? Well, Nokia 5800 has a RAM and CPU that exceeds the first computer that I had used back in the early 90's...
I was able to run Windows 3.1 successfully on my Nokia 5800 and I am so happy about it that I am actually going to share the recipe with you all. This procedure was already shared by others on other threads (like http://www.imserba.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125592) (better than this), but they did not tackle the 'no physical keypad' problem of 5800.
Try out this on your own risk. I have just shared what I did to get this done.
- Hacked Nokia 5800 with latest firmware (v21.0.25) - haven't tested in older firmwares or unhacked phones.
- X-Plore 1.31 (recently released in the site of lonely cat games, kindly Google it to get it) - good for doing all the file manupilations
Files you need:
Essentials Package - http://uploading.com/files/aa5423bc/Win3.1%20on%20S60v5%20Essentials%20Package.rar/
Windows 3.1 files - http://uploading.com/files/cd734a25/Data.zip/
Ingredients: (All of the following stuffs are available in the linked package except Windows 3.1 files which is available from the 2nd link)
- DosBox (including all its dependencies)
- Windows 3.1 files
- Virtual Keyboard for Nokia 5800
- Extract everything from the package and copy it to a sutiable directory in your memory card (preferably in 'Others' directory).
- Install all the .sis & .sisx files (glib.sis, pips_nokia_1_3_SS.sis, SDL-1.2.13-S60-2.3.4_armv5.sisx, ssl.sis, stdcpp.sis, stdioserver_s60_1_3_SS.sis) in the 'DosBox Dependencies' directory inside the package.
- Install dosbox.sisx (found inside 'DosBox' directory).
- Install wfvirtualkeyboard_0.9.4.sisx (this requires signing, even in hacked phones) from the 'Virtual Keyboard' directory.
- Copy the directory 'data' from the package and overwrite the 'data' directory found in your phone memory (C:\). In other words, you need to copy the two files from inside the 'data' directory in package to the 'data' directory in 'C:\data' ('data' directory in phone memory)
- Copy the 'windows' and 'calmira' directories from your the second package to the following location of memory card 'E:\dos\c\' (create the 'c' and 'dos' directories as required). Eventually making 'E:\dos\c\windows' and 'E:\dos\c\calmira' available to dos box.
- Start the Virtual Keyboard app from your phone menu and then DosBox app.
- Your the asterisk key (*) on your virtual keyboard to toggle between keyboard and mouse mode.
Use of certain keys in the virtual keyboard:
Cetner Key > Enter Key / Left Click
Arrow Keys > Direction Keys / Mouse Movement Keys
Right Soft Key > ESC Key